Tom Twedt’s clients consistently mention his clear communications, creative problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail as reasons they continue to hire him and refer him to their colleagues. Tom advises biotechnology, digital media, telecommunications, broadband, broadcast television, radio, real estate and retail clients on Securities and Exchange Commission and stock exchange rules and procedures, corporate governance best practices, fund formation and on public and private offering processes for debt, equity and derivative securities.
In addition to helping mature clients with their debt, equity and corporate governance needs, Tom will offer fixed-fee services for the review of periodic reports and for assistance with virtually all reports and other SEC-related matters a public company routinely faces each year.
A former Branch Chief with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Tom oversaw the disclosure processes associated with capital formation and, as an attorney advisor, worked on developing the tabular-based executive compensation format still used today. After his tenure with the SEC, Tom spent 20 years with Dow Lohnes and Cooley advising public and private company clients on a broad array of corporate and securities law matters.
After receiving a Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance and a Bachelor of Business Administration in Real Estate magna cum laude from the University of North Texas, Tom earned his J.D. from the University of Houston Law School magna cum laude.
MR. TWEDT'S REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS
- Led team of three specialist and two other corporate attorneys that prepared and negotiated all legal documents to support the underwriters in an initial public offering and follow-on public offering of common stock of a clinical stage biotechnology company, raising $90M towards the company’s further development of novel, small molecule drugs, ensuring compliance with all pertinent aspects of corporate, securities and Federal Drug Administration law.
- Prepared and negotiated the offering prospectus and ancillary legal documents for a public offering of common stock and preferred stock, raising $175M for the continued development of the company’s next-generation satellite communications network.
- Prepared and negotiated purchase agreements and related documents related to acquisitions of common stock in public companies by investment funds, either as part of a debt financing or as a stand-alone transaction.
- Drafted proposed legislation to require public disclosure of significant short positions and developed other approaches to help curb abusive short selling. Proposed a pragmatic approach to a complex issue and developed an organized and understandable summary of the proposed solution and relevant additional considerations.
- Assisted clients with developing and refining corporate policies, procedures and committee charters to build and enhance corporate governance regimes that comply with relevant rules and achieve any unique business objectives.
- Effectively managed the offering process of privately placing over $10B in senior unsecured notes over a multi-year period to expand and enhance the client’s broadband network. Early assembled and managed specialists spanning four disciplines to efficiently deliver results. Clear and timely communication resulted in early ascension as point person for the offerings.
- Advised and negotiated a $195M debt restructuring for a large chemical company. One of a two-person team negotiating and documenting the financing arrangements to help the client successfully avoid bankruptcy.
- Advised and negotiated financings for successful mergers and acquisitions in the higher education, media, Internet, cable, broadcast television, radio and telecommunications industries.
- Represented a leading media company in connection with the largest all-cash ($6.6B) going private transaction at the time.
- International Law Views, July 2017
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member
- Media Financial Management Association, Accounting Committee and Editorial Committee
- Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless, Volunteer